Skip to main content

The Mystery Box of Tamaqua's Odd Fellows Cemetery

Odd Fellows Cemetery, photo by Robert Lasky

In April of 1898, Mrs. Margaret Wyatt of Tamaqua passed away. A quiet, unremarkable woman with a quiet, unremarkable life, Mrs. Wyatt was prepared for burial without much fanfare. She was to be interred at the Odd Fellows Cemetery and the necessary preparations were made by Joseph Southem, the graveyard sexton.

However, as Mrs. Wyatt's grave was being dug, Mr. Southem made a curious discovery, leading to a mystery that has remained unsolved for over a century.

The following comes from the Shenandoah Evening Herald, on April 4, 1898:

Why on earth would anyone bury an empty box in a cemetery beneath a one ton boulder? Who would go through such trouble? Did the box once hold a valuable treasure that had somehow been unearthed before 1898? Or was somebody planning on returning to the spot later with the hopes of burying something that nobody would ever be able to find?

That, of course, is the mystery, and it's a mystery that boggles the mind the more you stop to think about it.
The story provides some possible clues as to the age of the mystery box; according to the sexton, the box appeared to have been in the ground several years before it was unearthed. Could the box have been buried before the cemetery was laid out?

According to W.W. Munsell & Co.'s 1881 History of Schuylkill County, the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Tamaqua was opened in 1865, on a plot of thirty acres at the head of Broad Street. The cemetery grounds were purchased by the Harmony Lodge on January 4, 1864. It also appears that the same plot of land was once the site of one of Tamaqua's first churches, the Primitive Methodist Church.

In 1830, a coal mine operator named William Donaldson opened his house for religious worship and he, being a preacher, conducted the services. With a hundred and fifty or so citizens, Tamaqua was just a tiny village back then (it would be two more years before the borough was incorporated), and the site of the old church was on the parcel of property that Odd Fellows Cemetery would later occupy.

Interestingly, the north side of Odd Fellows Cemetery contains a mass grave of more than 100 unknowns. These remains, from the unclaimed bodies from the old Primitive Methodist Church, were placed into a large box and buried by the new property owners.

If the mystery box discovered in 1898 is from the same general era, this would date the box sometime between 1830 and 1865-- the time between the opening of William Donaldson's church and the first burial at Odd Fellows.

This raises some fascinating possibilities. Perhaps the box unearthed by sexton Joseph Southem once held the remains of an early parishioner of the old Primitive Methodist Church. The box would have been in the ground for 68 years by the time it was found-- but why then was it empty?

Could the human remains inside the box have disintegrated into dust in less than 70 years, thereby making the old box appear empty? It's possible, but if so, surely some scrap of clothing would remain. Unless, of course, the box was used to bury a newborn child. While the the newspaper article from 1898 fails to say how large the box was, it was probably not large enough to be mistaken as a coffin.

Or maybe the old Primitive Methodist Church, while interring its own dead back in the 1830s and 1840s, came across an even earlier burial ground, and decided to bury those even older unknown remains in a mass grave, like the one that currently exists on the north side of Odd Fellows Cemetery. It's possible, as history tells us that Tamaqua was settled as early as 1799.

It's safe to assume that human remains buried in 1799 would probably be reduced to dust after a century, and the mystery box was dug up in 1898, or 99 years after the first settler arrived.

Perhaps the only person who could answer this question is William Donaldson-- and he's not talking.

Popular posts from this blog

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless place…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

The Murder of Daisy Smith

On a Monday morning in early October of 1898, about two miles below the iron railroad bridge which crosses the river to Selinsgrove, a farmer's horse had fallen ill.  Henry Smith sent out his teenage daughter, Daisy, to gather some sweet fern.  Hours passed and the Daisy had not returned with the medicinal herb so Mr. Smith decided to look for her after dinner.  He discovered the body of his beloved daughter next to the highway not far from the barn, face down beneath a large chestnut tree; her throat cut ear from to ear.

Of all the murders that took place in Northumberland County, it is the murder of pretty Daisy Smith which has become the most famous, largely due to the brutality of the crime. Daisy, who was just sixteen at the time, was found with a gash across her neck so deep that her backbone was visible, and her body had been riddled with several loads of buckshot.  It was the type of death befitting the most heinous of villains, and the fact that this fate had befallen su…